Weekend Recap – ANF Challenge

Well…seems I’ve fallen little short of my two-posts-per-week goal lately.  Apologies (and thank you) to the 5-7 people who read the blog regularly – I do enjoy going on about myself in this little corner of the Internet, but it’s been an unexpectedly crazy few weeks at work.  I spent a good chunk of that time not knowing whether I was on the verge of tears or maniacal laughter, but have since realized with help from my wise mother that not allowing work to control 95% of my thoughts (the other 5% going to food, obviously) will result in better mental health.

So, to focus on other things, here are a few photos from this weekend… (how’s that for a smooth segue?)

Friday

A&F puts on a benefit every September called the ANF Challenge, which consists of a 5K race and party at our campus.  This year the proceeds went to the SeriousFun Children’s Network, which operates about 30 summer camps across the world for kids with serious illnesses.  One of the camps is about an hour from Columbus, and many of my co-workers have had great volunteer experiences there.  But not me, partly because I do not understand how to interact with children.  I felt like parents expected me to have cute things to say to their kids when I waited tables, and I came up short 100% of the time.

Anyway, my mom came into town for the event since she’s never seen the office.  We enjoyed the food, drinks, and music, but not the 5K race.

anf challenge 2016

anf challenge 2016

anf challenge 2016 x ambassadors

X Ambassadors performance.

Saturday

My mom and I walked to Katalina’s  in the Victorian Village neighborhood for breakfast.  My friends that actually go out and do stuff gave strong recommendations, so I’m glad we had a chance to try it.

katalinas restaurant columbus

I ordered the Southern Brown Betty Biscuit Balls, which were filled with apple butter, ham, and cheddar and lived up to the hype.  I also wasn’t stuffed afterward, which was nice.  With rare exception, I’ll eat as much as is put in front of me, so I always appreciate a little help with portion control.

We returned to my apartment and watched the first quarter of the Michigan game before my mom headed home.  I later worked out at Lifetime and also attempted to make honey whole wheat biscuits, but they came out in the form of hard, dense dinner rolls.

honey whole wheat biscuits

Sunday

I made a trip to the mall for work, during which I picked up a thick salt-and-pepper cardigan at H&M that falls almost to my knees.  I’m loving this trend and plan to wear it with skinny jeans, a v-neck tee, and black smoking flats.  So easy.

Since I have a bit more work to do this afternoon and my Internet’s not cooperating, I’m finishing this post at Starbucks with a pumpkin spice latte.  I’m actually PSL-obsessed – my go-to if I’m not drinking regular coffee is a latte with two pumps of peppermint syrup – but I love seasonal things and always order one or two a year.

starbucks pumpkin spice latte

On a somewhat unrelated note, Starbucks has stepped their Internet game WAY up.  I haven’t come here to work in a long time and remembered the connection being super slow, but I had zero trouble accessing my files over VPN.  Pleasant surprise!

So there you have it…a mix of activity and laziness.  Which way did your weekend go?  Favorite Starbucks drink customization?

4 thoughts on “Weekend Recap – ANF Challenge

  1. Emily Swanson

    I love that idea of sharing with children who are struggling with serious illnesses; sometimes it’s hard to know how to help, and I’m thankful that this raises money for them. <3

    And that Butter biscuit sounds really good!

    Reply

Leave a Reply